The basics in job seeking
The process of traditional job seeking
- Get interested in job vacancies. You will find vacancies in the local newspapers or on companies’ websites. Get euphoric about the jobs you find! Remember that only part of the vacant jobs are listed publicly. It is also often possible to leave an open application to a job announcement. Make the most of your networks, and contact different companies and organizations to ask about their need to recruit personnel. Be then prepared to tell about your skills, and the reason why you are interested in the organization in question.
- Get familiarized with the websites of interesting employers, and find out more about their vacant jobs. In addition, find out what skills and expertise the company is looking for.
- Be active and try to make the best of your job application and CV.
Resources supporting you in making a good application and CV:
The Balance Careers: How to Write a Job Application Letter
Infofinland.fi: Job application and CV
CV Plaza: CV Examples
Resume.io: Create my resume
- A job interview is your possibility to show the employer that you are the best choice for this post. The meaning of the interview is to find out the suitability of the job seeker for the work assignment. Your professional background and professional goals, values, competencies and motivation are reviewed in the interview. In addition, your potential employer will pay attention to your interaction skills, and the way you react to surprising or tricky questions. The interview is also a chance to make yourself better acquainted with the organization – to get to know each other. What do you want to ask the employer? Show interest in the employer and the workplace.
- Prepare yourself for the interview in advance.
- If you get the job, make sure you follow the instructions you get from the employer: what is the time limit to confirm the acceptance of the task and how to do it? When will you start working and what have you agreed about your salary? If you get rejected, you have a possibility to ask for feedback regarding your application and/or the interview: what were your strengths, and what are the things that you could still improve? This is valuable information for your job seeking in thr future.
Last modified: Thursday, 10 September 2020, 2:33 PM